Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Phred Phred is offline

Default 13' Boston Whaler Restoration

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:38:31 -0700, Gunner Asch
scribed:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 20:22:02 -0400, wrote:

Hey All:

A neighbor of mine on the pond I live has offered me a free use of a
13' Boston Whaler, if I can fix it up... I dinna know a lot about
those things, but free is free. It's got a couple of cracks in the
fiberglass, and gel coat, and water has seeped into the foam. Is there
a way to dry them out quickly? A quick wick? I can deal with patching
the fiberglass, but getting dry is the first step.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like an easy repair as long as cosmetics are not an issue.

Couple ways to dry out the foam..one of which is heat. You may wish to
put a 100 watt bulb in a big box and cut the box to fit the area around
the cracks where the water came in. It will dry it out over a week or
two. The other way is to drill through the wet section and go ahead
and patch the cracks properly. Over time the water will vent out through
the holes you drilled above the new glass. Having wet foam in small
areas is not all that big a deal, though it may grow fungus over time.

You may wish to read the following....

The Official Boston Whaler way to repair hulls...

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...tructions.html

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...lerRepair.html

A very good source for Whaler info

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/

Gunner

Thank you for the ideas and references...

Cosmetics are not an issue, just want it for fishing. Max 8 HP gas on
the pond anyway, but i'll probably just put a trolling motor... I
won't be towing any skiers.

I heard that drilling a couple of holes in the top, and bottom and
blowing out with a shop-vac may egress the water quicker... Any
thoughts on that? I'd like to get it ready for the season (Almost now)

Best,

Freddie

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.