Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default 13' Boston Whaler Restoration

In article ,
wrote:

Hey All:

A neighbor of mine on the pond I live has offered me a free use of a
13' Boston Whaler, if I can fix it up... I dinna know a lot about
those things, but free is free. It's got a couple of cracks in the
fiberglass, and gel coat, and water has seeped into the foam. Is there
a way to dry them out quickly? A quick wick? I can deal with patching
the fiberglass, but getting dry is the first step.

Any thoughts?

Truck it to Tuscon, or some other hot dry location. Short of that, get
it in a building, crank up the heat, crank down the humidity, and if
confident in your glass repair skills, drill some big holes in the glass
to expose more foam to air. Would have thought they'd use closed cell
foam that would not soak up water (perhaps they did, but it aged into
open cells? Not really sure if that's plausible.)

Or try this...which indicates that cutting away and then replacing
fiberglass around the cracked area is a good thing, and perhaps the
water is really trapped between delaminated skin and foam, rather than
in the foam.

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/ref...tructions.html