Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] dchou4u@hotmail.com is offline

Default install outlet on exterior stucco wall

On Apr 9, 8:19*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
On Apr 9, 5:43*am, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 7:26 pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 7:05 pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:

On Apr 8, 5:49 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

On Apr 8, 2:18 pm, "RBM" wrote:

wrote in message

I like to install an outlet on an exterior stucco wall so that I
can
put in a fountain. The other side of this same wall is in my
garage.
There is an existing outlet in the garage right where I plan to
install the new outlet, but the existing outlet is about 3' higher
than where I plan to install the new outlet outside.

1. Should I cut an opening on the inside wall right where the new
exterior outlet will be, and do I need to install an J box here?
2. How do I drill through the stucco wall? With a drill bit?

Thanks

If you have a small carbide bit, 3/16", and a hammer drill, you
should be
able to trace the outline of a "cut in gem box", onto the stucco,
then
carefully drill holes along the lines about 1/4" apart. Then break
out the
material. You'll next have to cut through the plywood or whatever
sheeting
you have, to fit the box. Once that's done, you can easily snake
from the
box on the inside to the large opening on the outside and install
the
cable,
box, gfci outlet, and in use cover

But if I create the opening on the outside, then I need to be really
accurate in my positioning. Otherwise I risk creating an outside
opening which misses the cable when I snake it down from the inside
outlet.
The other alternative is to create the opening on the inside, grab the
wire that is snaked down from the interior outlet, create an exterior
opening in the stucco, install the exterior outlet box with the cable,
patch up the inside opening.
Please advise if what I am suggesting makes sense.

What you are suggesting makes perfect sense, and what I'm suggesting
is
quite a bit more work. Typically the box on the inside will be mounted
to a
stud. You pretty much just have to be close to that location on the
outside,
and on the same side of that stud- Hide quoted text -

It sounds like the interior garage wall is finished. Is that
correct?? You should be able to measure carefully and go from the
inside to the outside within 1/2 inch accuracy if you know how to
measure carefully and use a 4' carpenter's level. I you have any
doubts, use a long drill and drill a small hole in what you expect to
be the center of the new outside box, when you go thru the inside wall
of the garage, then you will have a measuring point from which all
other measurements are made.

YUou really need to tell us what the outside stucco wall is made of,
and if the inside finished wall is on studs, screwed into concrete
block outside wall, or whatever. You could get much better answers if
you gave more details in the original post.

I just removed the outlet cover for the outlet inside the garage. The
outlet box is screw onto a wood stud on one side. The wall in the
garage is finished.
I cannot see what is on the inside of the stucco wall without creating
a new opening below the inside outlet box. But one thing I am sure of
is that there is no concrete block inside the wall. This is purely a
wood and stucco home in Southern CA. So is it likely that the stucco
is applied onto a plywood sheet?
Can I use a wood drill bit to drill through stucco?

Thanks

By the way, the inside outlet box does not have a breakout on the
bottom surface. It is one of those plastic outlet boxes. Do I just
just a drill bit to open a hole at the bottom surface of the outlet
box and snake the wire through it?

If it's an old bakelite box, the knockouts are not apparent from the inside
of the box. If you hit the area with a screwdriver, it should pop a hole
through it- Hide quoted text -

Since it appears you will be able to get the wire connected between
the two boxes, I would start by figuring out what the external wall is
made of. *I would drill a hole in the outside wall where the box is to
be located and then use a scroll saw to enllarge the hole. *You should
be abler to get your hand inside a hole that is big enough for the
outside box. *You can get a box that will mount on the stucco wall
using various tabs and projections. *Go to you local large hardware
store and get someone to help you to find a box that will fit your
needs. *Until you know what the thickness and composition of the
external wall is, we can't tell you much more. *Don't you have someone
in your neighborhood who is handy? *This is really a simple project.
Just be sure that your external box has a GFCI outlet and a
weatherproof cover. *You may be able to use a regular outlet if the
garage outlet is already gfci protected.

Is there any building code that stipulates how high the external
outlet box should be from dirt?