Posted to rec.woodworking
Stuart Pearson Stuart Pearson is offline

Default Buy a jig or have them done by CNC?

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
On 4/6/2010 5:45 PM, Stuart Pearson wrote:

That was my thoughts, the g code would take minutes to write and thus
would be very cheap particularly as a local company would of done them
in exchange for some repair work I did on a controller last year. Still
I have gone with a cheap jig and will keep that favor in the bank for
when cnc routing is a better fit.

The jig should do a passable job for you - and you shouldn't be misled by
my (smallish-minded) attempts to remind the Festool crowd that those tools
aren't the final word in speed, accuracy, and ease of use.

FWIW, I would expect that nearly all CNC routing shops already have a code
block to drill or rout holes on a parameter-controlled grid. Even before
my machine was delivered I had written that routine and another to rout
all the holes in Euro-style cabinets. I never made any kitchen cabinets,
but I've (re)used the grid-drilling code a fair amount. You should
probably revise their programming time to somewhere near zero.

Since you know enough to help them out with their controller, let me
encourage you to think about a project like

http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/JBot/

Not only might you find something like fun to build and play with, but
it's a wonderful jig- and template-making tool.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Now why did you have to go and suggest that, I was finally getting some of
my
projects completed and now you have given me the idea for a new one!

Must admit I have considered it before but is only with my recent house move
I have had the space and it does sound like a fun project. Nice site by the
way.

Cheers
Stuart