Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Lowe's blows

Sanity wrote:

I live in North Carolina now. For the past five years I've purchased Ice
Melt from Lowe's and have not had one problem. This year they had a product
called "Ice Melt and Traction". I asked the associate what the difference
was from what they used to carry. He told me it's the same with sand added
to give better traction. I read the label very carefully. It said "Do not
use on concrete that is less than 1 year old or not cured. Concrete should
be sealed". Well, my concrete is 5 years old, cured and not only is it
sealed, I sealed it with product recommended by Lowe's.
As you can guess, the concrete flaked. I went to the manager at Lowe's and
he instituted a claim. The manufacturer denies any responsibility. Lowe's
sent them a 'demand' letter stating that according to their agreement the
manufacturer must assume liability.

An agreement to which you're not a party.

I didn't hear for awhile so I called
Lowe's back. In a nasty tone I was told by their office that Lowe's does not
warranty any products they sell and is not responsible.

I'll bet some lawyers will argue that sellers can be held responsible
for products they sell when they don't explicitly say otherwise. Also
the fact that a Lowe's employee said the new product was the same as
the old, except for the addition of sand, may be the key to getting
Lowe's to accept responsibility.

When I lived within walking distance of a Lowe's and a Home Depot, I
did 90% of my shopping at HD because Lowe's employed a much worse
class of morons. Example: one summer, it took three Lowe's
employees to find where the air conditioners were located. OTOH when
I asked a HD employee in the garden equipment dept. for a funny
electrical switch, he told me not only which aisle at the opposite end
of the store had it but also how high off the floor it would be.