Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Lowe's blows

On Apr 8, 3:27*pm, "Sanity" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Apr 8, 1:24 pm, "Sanity" wrote:
"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

On Apr 8, 12:14 pm, "Sanity" wrote:
"willshak" wrote in message

Sanity wrote the following:
I have been a homeowner, mostly up North for the past 50 some odd
years.
My family is in the construction business so I know a little about
building and maintenance.
I have used Ice Melt on my driveways and steps for many, many years
without a problem. I know not to use rock salt as that would
deteriorate
the concrete.
I live in North Carolina now. For the past five years I've
purchased
Ice
Melt from Lowe's and have not had one problem. This year they had a
product called "Ice Melt and Traction". *I asked the associate what
the
difference was from what they used to carry. He told me it's the
same
with sand added to give better traction. I read the label very
carefully.
It said "Do not use on concrete that is less than 1 year old or not
cured. Concrete should be sealed". *Well, my concrete is 5 years
old,
cured and not only is it sealed, I sealed it with product
recommended
by
Lowe's.
As you can guess, the concrete flaked. *I went to the manager at
Lowe's
and he instituted a claim. *The manufacturer denies any
responsibility.
Lowe's sent them a 'demand' letter stating that according to their
agreement the manufacturer must assume liability. I didn't hear for
awhile so I called Lowe's back. In a nasty tone I was told by their
office that Lowe's does not warranty any products they sell and is
not
responsible. All they'll do is refund the money I paid for the bag
of
ice
melt. I asked if this was their policy on everything they sell and
they
said 'yes'. I will be taking them and the manufacturer to court.
Whether
I win or not is not important at this point. I just want everyone
know
that when Lowe's tells you to email , they really
don't.

Was the second person you talked to, the same manager?
If not, the second person probably doesn't know the company policy
on
claims.
Contact the manager again and ask what is going on.
You can't condemn a whole company for one person's remarks.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Spoke to two different managers in two different stores. *Spoke to
Lowe's
insurance company, SRS and they initially told me the manufacturer
was
responsible and that Lowe's had a signed contract stating that.

Isn't that eaxctly what the warranty terms I found at the Lowes site
state?

If the insurance company told you the same thing, why do you think you
have a case against Lowes?

Did you bother to read the paragraph I posted? It's from the contract
manufacturers sign with Lowe's. *They must offer a warranty or guaranty
and
Lowe's will enforce the contract.- Hide quoted text -

"Did you bother to read the paragraph I posted?"

Now, what kind of a member of a.h.r would I be if I didn't what you
posted before responding?

In fact, I took what you posted to a Holiday Inn and read it there.
That now makes me an expert on the issue at hand.

It clearly states that the *manufacturer* is responsible.

"Pursuant to this agreement your company is responsible for this
matter."

It also states that the company is responsible to Lowes, not you.

Holiday Inn Bottom Line - *you* can't sue Lowes for anything. Lowes
can sue the manufacturer (should they choose to) but you don't have
any claim against *Lowes*.

If Lowe's is not responsible to the end buyer why would they care if the
manufacturer guarantees their product. The reason? *They know that
ultimately if a product is defective or causes harm, they, Lowe's is going
to get sued.- Hide quoted text -

"If Lowe's is not responsible to the end buyer why would they care
if the manufacturer guarantees their product."

Hmm...let's see...

Maybe it's because it's logistically impossible for them to monitor
the product and/or service quality of every product or service they
sell, which means it would be a pretty dumb business model to take
responsibility for the problems those products and services cause. By
passing the "blame" up the food chain, they protect themselves from
being held responsible.

"They know that ultimately if a product is defective or causes
harm, they, Lowe's is going to get sued."

You're right, I stand corrected. As someone else pointed out, this is
America and you can sue anybody you want. Actually prevailing in the
matter, well, that's a whole different story.