Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pleasant (tentative) surprise with Bridgeport Customer Service

On 2010-04-08, Bill Noble wrote:
what kind of monitor? why is it hard to just fix it?

It is some kind of old EGA monitor, like those found on "IBM PC XT".

Yeah, our old Bridgeport/Romi lathe with EZ-Trak control has an ANCIENT
B&W EGA display with 9-pin plug. When it went out, I took it over to my
bench and found some solder joints in the HV/horiz. sweep circuit had
partially melted and fatigued, and resoldered them. To my surprise, the
monitor came back to life and is still working after quite a few years.
If you troll the consumer electronic junk swap meets you may be able to
find a compatible monitor. Some of the older NEC multi-sync monitors
will go down to EGA sweep rates. You ought to put a scope on the H and
V sync pins and find out what the actual H sweep rate is, then you can
look for a monitor that will work.

My old PC book says the EGA sweep rates were 15.75 - 21.85 KHz, MCGA was
31.5 and the original VGA was also 31.5 KHz.

Jon