Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default House wiring problem

Roy wrote:
On Apr 5, 7:11 pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 04/05/2010 07:50 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/5/2010 12:33 PM Tony Hwang spake thus:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 4/5/2010 11:08 AM Tony Hwang spake thus:
There are two types of engineers, one is hands-on type like techs
in the field. One is strictly desk bound knowing only theory. There
are many EEs out there who can't even replace a blown fuse on
something some where. I was not one of them.
It really doesn't matter in this caes: either type of engineer could
*easily* give the correct answer here (what size resistor to use to
eliminate phantom voltage readings and not burn up or explode). In fact,
it doesn't even take an engineer. Lotsa DIY types like myself know Ohm's
law and the formula for power, which are the only two pieces of
information necessary.
Hmmm,
I just ;et my two fingers on my right hand tell.
LOL!
?????????
[I'd laugh if I knew what the joke was]

old school electrician, licks two fingers and places them across two
terminals. "yup, feels like about 120."

seriously, I've seen it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel

==
Lick fingers, place them across two terminals and then touch GROUND
with other hand and BINGO possible electrocution. Bad enough when it
happens accidentally but to deliberately do it is dumb. I was using an
old BD hand-held saw in a barn once and touched the saw frame on a
stanchion accidentally and it threw me and the saw to the ground in a
flash. Even 110 volts can kill.

==

Chuckle. Most amusing 110 bite I've had (and there have been several),
didn't actually zap me directly, but I still damn near wet myself. I was
about 15 (Child labor laws? Huh?) and nailing baseboard in a dishwasher
cubbyhole. Swung the hammer back, and saw a flash of light and heard a
big ZAP. Dumb**** electrician had heated the kitchen strings w/o capping
the end of the romex that would feed the dishwasher. Had a few choice
words for him, even at that young age. Figured out which breaker killed
kitchen, pulled it, and then had to saw the cable off my hammer where it
had neatly arc-welded itself. Good thing it was a glass handle, I guess.

--
aem sends...