Posted to rec.woodworking
Matt Matt is offline

Default Buy a jig or have them done by CNC?

If you are planning on doing this infrequently, I have several suggestions:

A. do as J Clarke suggested by making a 4 hole jig

B. If you have not selected your wood yet, check your building centre for
particle board / melamine panels that are pre-drilled. In my area the home
centres sell 16" wide, by 8' lengths that are pre-drilled for making book
cases.

C. If you still want to drill your holes in a custom manner, then I suggest
using a protractor or compass to mark repeatable distance marks on the 4
lines for the shelf holes. Determine how far from the front & back you want
the row of holes; lightly mark the 2 parallel lines on each side; determine
how far down from the top the holes should start - mark this onto all 4
lines; with the protractor / compass scribe the lines - using the
intersection as where to reset your protractor - repeat until all rows are
done; using a punch mark the holes better; drill each hole as appropriate
for your shelf pins.

D. As in C, but do this to a strip of plywood or aluminum or steel to make a
jig, then clamp it to your material and drill appropriately

E. read up on system 32 / European kitchen construction - they all show how
to drill those holes

F. look up books published by Danny Proulx -
http://www.cabinetmaking.com/pages/library.htm
He wrote several books on how to make cabinets and shows several methods
for marking the holes and making jigs.

The Veritas Jig is really cool, but overkill if you are making only one
shelf system.
And sending out to have the holes drilled will likely cost enough to take
the fun out of your own precision measure, mark and drill process

Hope this helps

"Stuart Pearson" wrote in message
Hi All

I am hoping someone may be able to give some insight, I wish to make some
fitted book selves. I intend to use pegs to support / adjust the shelves,
and I am concerned about how to drill the holes accurately. I am
currently
considering two options, buying a jig like this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...55&src=froogle and using
this or sending them to a local CNC routing company and having them do it.
As way of background I would say I am ok when it comes to woodwork but I
am
certainly no cabinet maker. I am likely to build shelves again but not on
regular basis. Any advice or alternative options would be appreciated.

Cheers
Stuart