Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Buy a jig or have them done by CNC?

On 4/4/2010 4:09 PM, Stuart Pearson wrote:
Hi All

I am hoping someone may be able to give some insight, I wish to make some
fitted book selves. I intend to use pegs to support / adjust the shelves,
and I am concerned about how to drill the holes accurately. I am currently
considering two options, buying a jig like this
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...55&src=froogle and using
this or sending them to a local CNC routing company and having them do it.
As way of background I would say I am ok when it comes to woodwork but I am
certainly no cabinet maker. I am likely to build shelves again but not on a
regular basis. Any advice or alternative options would be appreciated.

Both are overkill. The Veritas works a treat but it's a lot of money to
do a simple job and there's no need to use CNC to drill a few holes
unless you're like Morris and have the machine sitting there and like to
dink with it.

All you need is a shop made jig with four holes in it with the right
spacing. Carefully align and clamp your jig, drill the first two holes,
then put pegs in those and put the jig over the pegs, drill the next
two, put pegs in those, repeat, moving pegs as required.

As to how you make the jig, you don't say what tools you have. All
kinds of ways to make a jig--if you've got a drill press you do it one
way, if you've got a table saw you do it another, if you've got a router
table and an Incra jig you do it a third, if you've got a CNC machine
you do it a fourth. So whatcha got to work with?