Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default House wiring problem

"Steve Barker" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Question for the gurus. I just tested my housewiring (at the wall
outlet) and found that I have 120V AC between the hot and return, only I
can't tell which of the top two "slots" is hot and which is return. They
both show 59.4 VAC with referrence to the third (GND) terminal, on the
bottom. Huh? Anyone have any idea what might be going on with my house
wiring? It's an old house, built in '49 or '50, and has had numerous
pieces added and modified. I was in the attic once, installing the
wiring for a bathroom outlet, and got bit by the *white* wire, which
should have been my first clue something was wrong. When I asked someone
else about that though, was told that it might be normal, depending on
what had been put in place. :/

Any ideas or feedback are welcome. Hoping someone can explain this.
Also hoping I don't have to rewire my house...

Dave

Two things are happening here.
#1. You are using a digital meter, a no no on AC house diagnosis.
#2. Your outlet is not grounded.

Okay, you are correct on both counts. The outlet is not grounded, and I was
using my Fluke, which I trust more than the off-brand. Would an analog
meter give me a different reading from hot-gnd, or neutral-gnd? Hadn't
thought about it, but it probably would, wouldn't it? Have to check that
out. *Thank you*

Dave