Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; PC Backup

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 14:43:54 +0100, DavidM wrote:

I use Genie Backup Manager, and take an image of my C: drive every so
often (manually initiated), plus an automatic backup every time I
first login each day.

Doesn't that slow the machine/network down just when you want to use
it? And surely you want a backup done when you log off rather than on
so things that you have just created/changed are backed up ASAP.

Each user on the windows boxes here has Second Copy
http://www.centered.com/ run when they log off which copies anything
new/changed to their area on the server. Stuff that is deleted, or
the previous copy of changed stuff, gets shuffled into an "archive"
directory in their area.

The archives just build up but I have a script that goes through them
deleteing anything older than 30 days just before the weekly full
backup of the server to a NAS drive. There are daily incrementals of
the server as well and 3 sets of full/incrementals.

--
Cheers
Dave.