Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall Adrian Brentnall is offline

Default OT; PC Backup

The Medway Handyman wrote:
I save anything vital like my business accounts on to a memory stick, but I
don't backup general stuff - which could be an inconvenience if anything
happened.

I have Norton 360 which has a built in back up feature - but it doesn't
work. Drives me mad.

Everytime it reaches the stage 'Insert DVD' it them claims the DVD isn't
empty. Tried loads of different makes & the DVD slot works OK with
everything else.

So, would I be better off with one of these online backup companies or
buying some kind of external device?

If the latter, any suggestions to a PC numpty?

Here's an 'AVOID' warning....

Seagate sell something called the Seagate Replica - wich consists of a
USB hard drive and some software. USB drive is OK - but the seftware is
truly dreadful - supposed to backup in the background, but slugs the
system response while it's doing so - then, from time to time, it
believes that it's filled up the external hard drive and falls in a
heap, giggling.
Ask Seagate support about it and they reccomend hacking the registry,
resinstalling the software, disembowelling goats & etc.

On my 'to do' list =- format the USB hard drive & use 'something else'
for backup software.....

Adrian