Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House wiring problem

On Apr 3, 2:44*pm, Evan wrote:
On Apr 3, 4:17*am, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 4/2/2010 10:50 PM Evan spake thus:

Most cheap digital multimeters are intended to be used on small
electronic circuits and circuit boards and not for use on testing long
wiring runs like you would see in houses (feet compared to less than
an inch/es on a circuit board)...

Then explain why my cheap DMM gave *perfectly accurate readings* on my
long wiring runs. I'm listening.

- a Usenet "apology"

Because it is the CORRECT "low impedance" multimeter that can
accurately measure line voltage circuits...

The cost is irrelevant, as long as the multimeter is the correct type,
you will be able to properly measure for the actual presence or
absence of hazardous line voltages...

~ Evan

Not only is cost irrelevant, but it's also a function of the person
using the meter understanding some basic electricity and knowing how
to interpret the readings. I've exclusively used digital VOMs for
decades and never had any confusion. You could also make up an extra
set of test leads with a 50K ohm resistor across them to reduce the
input impedance.