Posted to alt.home.repair
Douglas Johnson[_2_] Douglas Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default House wiring problem

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I told you I used my cheap-ass HF meter and *didn't* get any phantom
readings. So no, not a given.

So far, nobody has been able to offer a plausible explanation.

There have been several (correct) attempts at an explanation. As I read your
experiment, you tried on a correctly wired circuit and got correct readings.
Just what you would expect.

Now, go unhook your ground wire at the panel. The hot line will induce a
voltage in that wire that can be read by a high impedance meter as difference in
voltage between ground and neutral. Is that plausible?

-- Doug