Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Dave is offline

Default House wiring problem

"mm" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 07:24:31 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:06:37 -0500, "Dave" wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message
Dave wrote:
Question for the gurus. I just tested my housewiring (at the wall
outlet) and found that I have 120V AC between the hot and return,
only I can't tell which of the top two "slots" is hot and which is
return. They both show 59.4 VAC with referrence to the third (GND)
terminal, on the bottom. Huh? Anyone have any idea what might be going
on
with my house
wiring? It's an old house, built in '49 or '50, and has had numerous
pieces added and modified. I was in the attic once, installing the
wiring for a bathroom outlet, and got bit by the *white* wire, which
should have been my first clue something was wrong. When I asked
someone else about that though, was told that it might be normal,
depending on what had been put in place. :/
Any ideas or feedback are welcome. Hoping someone can explain this.
Also
hoping I don't have to rewire my house...

Floating ground. It is likely that there is no ground wire at the
outlet,
and that the origional 2 prong outlet was replaced with a "grounded"
outlet, even though there was no ground wire to connect to the ground
connection.

Hey Bob,

Floating ground... Okay. That would fit with what I saw up in the
attic,
about the wiring used in the house. sigh At least it's nothing really
wierd. Always thought I ought to rewire the house, just didn't want to
tackle that project. Wondering if I can live with it...

So far, you seem to have one bad outlet, but only one. I'd fix it.

In fact as the problem was described here, I think you only have to
take the receptacle out and change the way the wires are connected. Or
put a two slot receptacle back in.

Even if you have to do the whole house, how hard could that be?

Many thanks.

Dave

I do have to do the whole house. Every plug is this way. And, the AC
compressor that uses 240? It's on *three different breakers*. If any of
them are on, it comes on when called upon. I'm thinking that the problem
must be in the service entrance, or the whole house wouldn't be
bass-ackwards with 59 VAC between every slot and the GND terminal (which is
not connected to anything.) I am thinking the person who said this was the
same thing you woud see with an PC that had an RF filter and no ground knew
what they were talking about. Wish I did. I can almost wrap my mind around
everything but the three breakers for the AC. And no, I am not making this
up. Whoever wired this house, or rewired it, had to have been either
stupid, crazy or on drugs (pick two out of three.)

Dave (who is not happy right now.)