Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House wiring problem

On 4/2/2010 5:17 PM spake thus:

On Fri, 02 Apr 2010 15:37:24 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

This is not the case. I just measured my unit's voltages with my
DMM. Got 122-something volts between hot and ground, and 0.0
between neutral and ground, just like you're supposeta.

The OP has some screwy wiring, perhaps a floating ground, maybe
something else.

(This isn't to say that it isn't *possible* for a DMM to misread
due to stray capacitance or induced voltages, but it is nowhere
near as terrible a problem as you hear here.)

Depends a lot on the meter.
With a Fluke or Amprobe meter, not very likely to have a problem, but
with a $9.99 (on sale for $4.99) Harbour Fright special and many other
cheap chinese DMMs it's almost a given.

Didn't you read what I wrote?

I told you I used my cheap-ass HF meter and *didn't* get any phantom
readings. So no, not a given.

So far, nobody has been able to offer a plausible explanation.

- a Usenet "apology"