Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House wiring problem

In this case, the OP got that voltage from each blade, to
ground. So, it's not a ghost voltage. One of those oughta
been hot, the other oughta been neutral.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"David Nebenzahl"
wrote in message
.com...

Are you absolutely sure it is 59.4V and not 59.4
millivolts?

Agreed. AND I'd double check with an analog meter to rule
out
inductive ghost voltages.

It's getting *really* annoying hearing this same answer
regurgitated
every time someone reports a problem involving weird
voltages in their
home's wiring.

One would think that a DMM (digital multimeter) is a totally
unreliable
instrument, prone to erroneous measurements due to cosmic
rays and pixie
dust.

This is not the case. I just measured my unit's voltages
with my DMM.
Got 122-something volts between hot and ground, and 0.0
between neutral
and ground, just like you're supposeta.

The OP has some screwy wiring, perhaps a floating ground,
maybe
something else.

(This isn't to say that it isn't *possible* for a DMM to
misread due to
stray capacitance or induced voltages, but it is nowhere
near as
terrible a problem as you hear here.)

- a Usenet "apology"