Posted to alt.home.repair

Default House wiring problem

On 4/2/2010 2:45 PM mike spake thus:

On Apr 2, 4:37 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:

(This isn't to say that it isn't *possible* for a DMM to misread due to
stray capacitance or induced voltages, but it is nowhere near as
terrible a problem as you hear here.)

It has happened to me on two different occasions. It's also happened
to a lot of regulars here.

Maybe you have a really advanced digital meter that isn't affected.

Nope, I've got a Harbor Freight el cheapo (think I paid $3 for it). So
how is it that I got completely accurate readings of my AC line voltage
with it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_voltage

Sorry, I don't do Wikipedia (the "encyclopedia" that can be edited by
any pimple-faced 7th grader).

- a Usenet "apology"