Robert Smith

Default WORKING TIPS FOR NEW WOODWORKERS 1

"Silvan" wrote in message
It's nuts to think you have to start with all of that though. I started
with a backsaw, a miter box, a cheap jigsaw, a cheap combination square, a
hammer, a Craftman screwdriver set and an electric drill. Most of these
were wedding gifts. The only tools I remember going out to purchase were
the backsaw/miter box kit and a cheap set of B&D countersink bits.

I normally just lurk, but I have just got to know. How did you end up with
tools for wedding gifts. All I got was a bunch of fancy plates that I ain't
allowed to eat off of. I tried to register at Grizzly, but SWMBO shot that
idea down. In fact she shot that down before she was even in office yet. The
only good thing about them plates is that I had to build a cabinet to put
them in. So of course I had to get some more clamps and some other tools.

But to try to steer things back to the topic. I got most of my equipment
in the process of building projects. I now have a fairly complete shop, just
by convincing SWMBO that she needed something that I didn't have the correct
tool to make.

Just this last month, she wanted some Christmas ornaments, so I
convinced her my 16" craftsman scroll saw wasn't up to the task. So I got
the new 20" Dewalt. Then my stepmother called me. She makes hand woven
baskets and she was complaining about the quality of the various wooden
parts she buys to use on her baskets. So I had to go out and buy a bandsaw
to resaw the rough oak I have into blanks for basket handles. Then of course
I had to build a steamer so I could bend the handles.
Then I had to build forms to stick the steamed wood in.

You know, I thought I was a fairly intelligent person. I work in
manufacturing, and have been able to handle anything that has come in the
door. So I just assumed that I could steam wood with no trouble. Boy was I
wrong. I didn't consider all the factors involved. Between the wood type,
grain direction, grain shape, and moisture content it's really a PITA. She
wanted oak handles, and I have a large supply of rough sawn 2x8 oak.
Unfortunately it's about 30 years old and really dry. The first time I tried
bending the handles, 90 percent of them cracked either while bending them,
or while they were drying.
Oops, I really wandered off topic. if you're interested in the trials
and tribulation of learning to bend wood with no help. let me know and I'll
start a new thread. Although I like to think of myself as and expert, I am
still wise enough to know I'm not really that smart, just to stupid to give
up.