Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default House wiring problem

On Apr 2, 11:58*am, Jack Hammer wrote:
On Apr 2, 2:45*pm, "Dave" wrote:

Question for the gurus. *I just tested my housewiring (at the wall outlet)
and found that I have 120V AC between the hot and return, only I can't tell
which of the top two "slots" is hot and which is return. *They both show
59.4 VAC with referrence to the third (GND) terminal, on the bottom. *Huh?
Anyone have any idea what might be going on with my house wiring? *It's an
old house, built in '49 or '50, and has had numerous pieces added and
modified. *I was in the attic once, installing the wiring for a bathroom
outlet, and got bit by the *white* wire, which should have been my first
clue something was wrong. *When I asked someone else about that though, was
told that it might be normal, depending on what had been put in place. *:/

Any ideas or feedback are welcome. *Hoping someone can explain this. *Also
hoping I don't have to rewire my house...

Dave

Are you absolutely sure it is 59.4V and not 59.4 *millivolts?

Agreed. AND I'd double check with an analog meter to rule out
inductive ghost voltages.