Big Tim

Default CCTV Video Capture

...But you're limited by cable length with USB, and they tend to be
"webcams" and not proper outdoor cameras...

Beat me to it Alan.

I've discounted USB cameras and usb capture cards for a number of
reasons, which include:

* Limited length for cable runs unless you include repeaters which
just ups the cost.
* USB tends to be webcams which wont stand up to being situated
outside.
* USB has greater limitations on the amount of data that can be
captured compared to a PCI card.
* I want to distribute the incoming signals around the house so I can
also "watch" the cameras on the nearest TV if I so choose. I can see
who's at the front door by switching channels doing this

What I didn't (forgot) to mention is that the PC that I intend to use
will be up in the loft where all the cat5 and coax will be
terminating. So I'm looking at a 30+ft run of cable for the front
door camera, regardles of system used.

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
et...
What I'd like to do is to add some CCTV cameras, but use a PC to
capture the pictures and software to trigger any alarms.

You could have bought USB based cameras. The camera sensor will be the

same
CCD, but the signals are kept in a computer friendly fashion rather than
converted to an analogue signal that the computer requires expensive
hardware to understand.

Christian.

--
Big Tim
(Take the Simian out and feed him with Spam to reply)