Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Manufacturing is BOOMING in USA

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Iggy,
I'm amazed by your statement. When was the last time any product in the
stores said "Made in the USA"? There is virtually no serious manufacturing
left in the States. You don't need statistics to witness this and in point
of fact, without seeing US products on the shelves, you have absolutely no
justification for believing them. The same thing is happening in Europe
and Japan. We have already exported almost all of our manufacturing to the
third world to remain competitive in the world market. Don't believe the
**** you read....look on the shelves.
Steve

Take a look at the detailed US manufacturing data (and the trade data, which
is another story) and you may be in for a shock, Steve. What you're seeing
on shelves is consumer products. They're the bottom end of manufacturing.
The US is doing very well in industrial and commercial products, and the
overall dollar figures of output keep climbing year after year. Of course,
during a recession, everything drops. But go back two years and look at the
decades-long trend.

I'll pull together some links if you have any trouble finding it.

--
Ed Huntress

"Ignoramus23298" wrote in message
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...739806306.html

Manufacturing Expands World-Wide

Best month of activity in USA in six years, makes my search for an
investment in a warehouse, possibly, even too late, although
realistically I still have a chance. My own opinion, mostly based on
liquidation auction prices for equipment that is usable in modern
production (as opposed to clapped out 50 year old manual lathes), is
that we are about to see sharp economic growth.

U.S. factory operators saw their best month of activity in nearly six
years during March. The Institute for Supply Management reported
Thursday that its index of manufacturing activity for March moved to a
reading of 59.6, from 56.5 the month before and 58.4 in
January. March's level was above the 57.0 economists had expected to
see, and it was the highest reading since July 2004. Readings over 50
indicate growth.

I do think that "Obama haters" , who succumbed to pessimism because of
who is in the White House, are making a big mistake in not recognizing
that this country has every potential to be a great economic and
industrial machine. We are now in a bull stock market by any standard,
and are seeing improvements in both growth and productivity. If this
continues, the United States will see a lot of incremental tax
revenues from additional economic activity and capital gains, and that
alone could be a big help to reduce budget deficit.

"Obama policies", which anyone should be free to like or not like, do
not fundamentally change the fact that we are a dynamic, capitalist
economy. In fact, availability of health insurance may help someone to
move towards self-employment.