Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Festool, what kinda deal is that?

On 4/1/2010 5:28 PM, Max wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

If you are going to use the tool with sheetgood's in mind, the 75" and
55" are an ideal combination, for the reason in Chris' post.

Plus it keeps you from needing to install a rear stop on the guide
rail when making the initial plunge ... a step not needed if the
plunge is made before the blade engages the stock.

So, if I understand you correctly, for the system to work properly, I
need a guide that will give me more length than 110" to properly use it
to cut a 96" long panel.

Not what I said ... if your depth of cut is such that a 9" overhang is
sufficient to fully plunge before pushing the blade into the stock,
fine. If not, you will want to put a "stop" on the guide rail, a ten
second operation.

These are PLUNGE saws ... you are plunging a spinning blade into a
stationary object ... common sense dictates that you do that in a
reasonable and safe manner by using a "stop" on the guide rail to keep
the saw from kicking back toward you.

Once again whatever kind of deal you make, you want to end up with a
minimum of one 75", and one 55".

Go ahead, ignore this advice, but trust me, if you don't do it upfront,
and you are going to use the tool for what it excels at, cutting sheet
goods, you eventually will.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08