Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Relocating a underwater machine shop? was Manufacturing is BOOMING in USA

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:35:51 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:20:55 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Obama policies", which anyone should be free to like or not like, do
not fundamentally change the fact that we are a dynamic, capitalist
economy. In fact, availability of health insurance may help someone to
move towards self-employment.

Chuckle...wait the the Commerical Real Estate Crunch hits.

Want to start a manufacturing business? Come out to California.

Lots and lots of existing shops here, where the owners simply walked
away from the building, leaving all the machinery(unpaid for), all the
tools (unpaid for) and all the piles of completed work (unpaid for)
still sitting in the shipping dock.

Ill bet you could get a complete shop for simply walking in the front
door.

Course..you better have at least 4 yrs worth of expense money in the
bank.....

Which leads me to the question, how long would it take to rig such
an enterprise onto transportation to another location, one which might
be considered more business friendly?

That is what some of the folks are doing. Some saw the California
economy going south a couple years ago, so sold their homes and business
locations, and bought raw land in Idaho, and other states. One client of
mine sold his house for $350k, and sold his shop local for $850k

He moved to Idaho, bought 25 acres, had a brand new house built, had a
Butler Building erected..all for less than $250k, moved his machines up
for $50k and now has more than $900k in the bank, a fully functional
machine shop in operation and is happy as a clam.

Not everyone was that smart, or able to do that, unfortunately. Too
many forgot that the client was UPS away, or for the odd ones..needed to
be near their clients.

Now that the housing market bottom has fallen out..and the Commercial
Real Estate crunch is on the close horizon....that option may no longer
be available.

Gunner

tschus
pyotr

p.s. Yes, I am remembering the bit in a post-ww3 novel, where one
group of SEALS basically pulled an unused train up to their base and
loaded everything onto it that wasn't nailed down, they pried up
everything else. "Never know, It could be useful someday..."

"We're not pack-rats. We are 'Rodents of extreme acquisition and
retention'."

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!