Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Manufacturing is BOOMING in USA

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...739806306.html

Manufacturing Expands World-Wide

Best month of activity in USA in six years, makes my search for an
investment in a warehouse, possibly, even too late, although
realistically I still have a chance. My own opinion, mostly based on
liquidation auction prices for equipment that is usable in modern
production (as opposed to clapped out 50 year old manual lathes), is
that we are about to see sharp economic growth.

U.S. factory operators saw their best month of activity in nearly six
years during March. The Institute for Supply Management reported
Thursday that its index of manufacturing activity for March moved to a
reading of 59.6, from 56.5 the month before and 58.4 in
January. March's level was above the 57.0 economists had expected to
see, and it was the highest reading since July 2004. Readings over 50
indicate growth.

I do think that "Obama haters" , who succumbed to pessimism because of
who is in the White House, are making a big mistake in not recognizing
that this country has every potential to be a great economic and
industrial machine. We are now in a bull stock market by any standard,
and are seeing improvements in both growth and productivity. If this
continues, the United States will see a lot of incremental tax
revenues from additional economic activity and capital gains, and that
alone could be a big help to reduce budget deficit.

"Obama policies", which anyone should be free to like or not like, do
not fundamentally change the fact that we are a dynamic, capitalist
economy. In fact, availability of health insurance may help someone to
move towards self-employment.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/1/2010 10:28 AM, Ignoramus23298 wrote:
[...]

Don't try to tell right wingers that anything Obama is doing is working,
is good policy, is successful, or is the right thing to do. They
continue to believe in the tried and failed policies that Bush and the
republicans stand for, and that they put in place when Bush was
president. What's scary is that they want another chance to implement
the exact same failed policies again. They have simply not learned that
what they believed was wrong. So don't try to tell them Obama's way of
doing things is good. They won't hear of it. They're wedded to failed
policies and that's that. Now the rest of the normal people are all
starting to see what you see and what I have already said before, things
are turning around and we are beginning a new phase of positive economic
growth. Just be happy we're coming out of the Bush debacle and are
moving ahead once again and make some moves that allow you to profit
from seeing the obvious.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hawke wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, nobody left or right can admit when their policies have
failed, and mostly nobody can even correlate their policies and the
actual results since there is such a long lag time before they typically
have any effect. This is of course why everything is cyclic.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Hawke wrote:
[...]

Of course there's lag time.
The Bush policies are finally starting to yield positive results.
Of course, BHO's lackeys won't be giving Bush credit.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Hawke wrote:
[...]

Just one question he Are you completely out of your freaking mind?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 12:28:32 -0500, Ignoramus23298
wrote:

[...]

Chuckle...wait the the Commerical Real Estate Crunch hits.

Want to start a manufacturing business? Come out to California.

Lots and lots of existing shops here, where the owners simply walked
away from the building, leaving all the machinery(unpaid for), all the
tools (unpaid for) and all the piles of completed work (unpaid for)
still sitting in the shipping dock.

Ill bet you could get a complete shop for simply walking in the front
door.

Course..you better have at least 4 yrs worth of expense money in the
bank.....

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Iggy,
I'm amazed by your statement. When was the last time any product in the stores said "Made in the USA"? There is virtually no
serious manufacturing left in the States. You don't need statistics to witness this and in point of fact, without seeing US
products on the shelves, you have absolutely no justification for believing them. The same thing is happening in Europe and Japan.
We have already exported almost all of our manufacturing to the third world to remain competitive in the world market. Don't
believe the **** you read....look on the shelves.
Steve

"Ignoramus23298" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:
(top posting fixed)
"Ignoramus23298" wrote in message
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...739806306.html

(referenced article snipped)

Iggy,
I'm amazed by your statement. When was the last time any product in the
stores said "Made in the USA"? There is virtually no serious
manufacturing left in the States. You don't need statistics to witness
this and in point of fact, without seeing US products on the shelves,
you have absolutely no justification for believing them. The same thing
is happening in Europe and Japan. We have already exported almost all of
our manufacturing to the third world to remain competitive in the world
market. Don't believe the **** you read....look on the shelves.
Steve

For an alternate set of data, consider my customer list -- with a few
exceptions, I do all of my work for US manufacturing companies, and they
support me very well indeed. No one hires a design consultant if they
don't intend to be manufacturing what the guy designs, and relatively
soon. While my business isn't booming it's certainly picking up
steadily but slowly.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-01, Hawke wrote:

[...]

I thin that being as partisan as you are, leads to making the same
mistakes as what the "Obama haters" are making, which is failure to
consider reality due to too much prejudices.

The reality is that, Obama or not, the United States is built on a
flexible, and solid, foundation of free enterprise, relative fairness,
competition and well honest educated, labor force with great work
ethic.

What Bush administration and most everyone else missed, was that due
to proliferation of shadow banking, the economy was again susceptible
to banking panics.

Where the Federal Reserve and Obama administration succeeded, is in
credibly convincing the markets that they will not allow a Depression
style calamity, no matter what deficit they would need to run. That
worked and our economy is returning to sensible functioning.

The administration of President Bush gets some, but very little,
credit for this.

In any case, I urge everyone to thin more about the future than about
the past. What is the likely fture that awaits us, what are the
dangers or risks, etc.

My expectation is for a general recovery and decent growth and modest
reduction of unemployment rate. That should help bring deficits closer
to sustainable levels.

With all of this in mind, and the prices where I hope to be, I would
hope be able to find some little industrial style investment of my
own. What I do not plan on doing is speculating on currencies,
interest rates, and other things. I also do not plan on leveraging
myself in a dangerous way.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-01, Pete C. wrote:

Unfortunately, nobody left or right can admit when their policies have
failed, and mostly nobody can even correlate their policies and the
actual results since there is such a long lag time before they typically
have any effect. This is of course why everything is cyclic.

This is very wise, actually.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:
Iggy,
I'm amazed by your statement. When was the last time any product in
the stores said "Made in the USA"? There is virtually no serious
manufacturing left in the States. You don't need statistics to
witness this and in point of fact, without seeing US products on the
shelves, you have absolutely no justification for believing them. The
same thing is happening in Europe and Japan. We have already exported
almost all of our manufacturing to the third world to remain
competitive in the world market. Don't believe the **** you
read....look on the shelves. Steve

Or the unemployment lines . I'll believe there's progress being made when
the job situation changes .
--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 5:41*pm, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:
The problem is that the reported results generally indicate that
most, if not all, of the conventional socio-economic/political
wisdom is wrong, and most of the credos, dogmas and shibboleths
of [political] ideology, where these can be put into testable
form and where data exists (which is too frequently *NOT* the
case), are not [or are no longer] correct. *...

Unka George *(George McDuffee)

Does it support my hypothesis that ONLY the price of oil controls the
world's economies?

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-01, RBnDFW wrote:
The Bush policies are finally starting to yield positive results.
Of course, BHO's lackeys won't be giving Bush credit.

Recall the timeline of the events. The crisis hit us in the late
September of 2008, on the eights year of Bush presidency.

The response to it was mostly worked out only by the end of
October. Significant money still was not spent by the end of Bush
presidency.

I would not, therefore, give Bush administration much credit, though
they deserve a small amount of credit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-01, Gunner Asch wrote:

Chuckle...wait the the Commerical Real Estate Crunch hits.

Want to start a manufacturing business? Come out to California.

Lots and lots of existing shops here, where the owners simply walked
away from the building, leaving all the machinery(unpaid for), all the
tools (unpaid for) and all the piles of completed work (unpaid for)
still sitting in the shipping dock.

Ill bet you could get a complete shop for simply walking in the front
door.

Course..you better have at least 4 yrs worth of expense money in the
bank.....

I do not want to own a manufacturing business because I will mess it
up.

However, I welcome the commercial real estate collapse because I want
to buy commercial (industrial) real estate to rent to manufacturing
businesses.

Ultimately, the collapse of commercial real estate is good for buyers
and renters of real estate, which means it is good for companies that
look to expand and buy into new space.

If I could buy a collapsed company (assets only, no liabilites) I
could sell off the equipment to help finance the purchase. Right now,
the prices for industrial equipment that is still usable for modern
shops, are increasing again. That's why I realized a few weeks earlier
that we'll have a good uptick in manufacturing - someone is buying
this stuff to expand on the cheap.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 2:04*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
Steve Lusardi wrote:

(top posting fixed) "Ignoramus23298" wrote in message
m...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57515770173980....

*
For an alternate set of data, consider my customer list -- with a few
exceptions, I do all of my work for US manufacturing companies, and they
support me very well indeed. *No one hires a design consultant if they
don't intend to be manufacturing what the guy designs, and relatively
soon. *While my business isn't booming it's certainly picking up
steadily but slowly.

--
Tim Wescott
Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com

I see the same thing on the manufacturing end, Tim. Our orders keep
increasing every month. New circuit board designs as well as old
production. My GM made a delivery this morning of GPS boards. The
customer had two pallets of finished electronic assemblies ready to
ship TO China!!!

Our big problem is component availability. Many distributors list a
component with stock on hand and then call and say oops, bin is empty
and factory says they will deliver in 6-8 weeks. Meantime, we have to
pay for all the rest of the components now and wait till the stray
arrives. Then one pops up that gives us a December 15 delivery date.
The Chinese way of saying they will NEVER make that transformer again.

Overall, things in manufacturing are getting much better than 2009.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:37:18 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:
snip
Unfortunately, nobody left or right can admit when their policies have
failed, and mostly nobody can even correlate their policies and the
actual results since there is such a long lag time before they typically
have any effect. This is of course why everything is cyclic.

snip
-------
Actually there has been considerable academic analytical work
done in this area. The field is called "econometrics," and when
the political party affiliation of the president, legislature,
etc. are included, generally as dummy or indicator variable (e.g.
Democrats = 0, Republicans = 1) it is called "political
econometrics."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econometrics
http://www.oswego.edu/~kane/econometrics/
http://www.econometrics.org/

http://www.politicaleconometrics.com/
http://www.card.iastate.edu/publicat...is.aspx?id=970
http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstrea...May%202009.pdf
http://ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstrea...%202009%20.pdf
and my own web page
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/PE/Econometrics.htm

Some knowledge of statistical techniques is required to
understand the methodology, such as multi-variant
regression/analysis or canonical analysis, but the advent of
inexpensive computer programs such as WinStat [an Excel add-in]
and even some "free" programs has greatly simplified the
calculations required.

The party affiliation/control of the presidency/legislature can
easily be shifted to reflect lag time of policy changes or going
the other direction, the effect of economic factors on the
election outcomes.

The problem is that the reported results generally indicate that
most, if not all, of the conventional socio-economic/political
wisdom is wrong, and most of the credos, dogmas and shibboleths
of [political] ideology, where these can be put into testable
form and where data exists (which is too frequently *NOT* the
case), are not [or are no longer] correct. Naturally this puts a
very considerable knot in the politicians and talk show hosts
pantyhose, so neither (political) econometrics nor its findings
are widely reported or employed. Generally what is discovered
is that there is no correlation, which greatly simplifies the
analysis (i.e. no need to do any analysis if no correlation), for
example the (widely assumed) increase in aggregate unemployment
with an increase in the CY$ [current year] or CV$ [inflation
adjusted] minimum wage. [Before the flame wars start, more than
likely there is some threshold where an effect would be seen, but
historically the increases have been below this threshold, and
indeed below the rate of inflation.]

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

This is the worst I have seen it in awhile. I was laid off in Oct. and I am
about to run out of unemployment. Sales went from 4.5 million a month to 1.5
and I was one of many let go. I thought I was safe with almost 13 years into
a big company. I think part of the reason is my age and being diabetic for
not getting another job. Having a steel plate holding my head up doesn't
help much either. Last time I was out of work it was for 9 days before I got
another good paying job.

All I can do is keep trying to find another job and wait and see what
happens with the economy. Only time will tell if our leader is good or bad.

Richard W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Lusardi wrote:

[...]

I deeply admire folks that can keep a manufacturing operation running
smoothly, and I'm deeply grateful that they're out there and enjoy doing it.

Because I've been there, I've done that, and if you asked me to do it
again I'd have to run away screaming.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Hawke wrote:
[...]

where'd you say that smiley collection was?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Awesome! How many manufacturing jobs are they moving from China to the USA?

RogerN

"Ignoramus23298" wrote in message
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...739806306.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Relocating a underwater machine shop? was Manufacturing is BOOMING in USA

Let the Record show that Gunner Asch on or
about Thu, 01 Apr 2010 13:20:55 -0700 did write/type or cause to
appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

"Obama policies", which anyone should be free to like or not like, do
not fundamentally change the fact that we are a dynamic, capitalist
economy. In fact, availability of health insurance may help someone to
move towards self-employment.

Chuckle...wait the the Commerical Real Estate Crunch hits.

Want to start a manufacturing business? Come out to California.

Lots and lots of existing shops here, where the owners simply walked
away from the building, leaving all the machinery(unpaid for), all the
tools (unpaid for) and all the piles of completed work (unpaid for)
still sitting in the shipping dock.

Ill bet you could get a complete shop for simply walking in the front
door.

Course..you better have at least 4 yrs worth of expense money in the
bank.....

Which leads me to the question, how long would it take to rig such
an enterprise onto transportation to another location, one which might
be considered more business friendly?

tschus
pyotr

p.s. Yes, I am remembering the bit in a post-ww3 novel, where one
group of SEALS basically pulled an unused train up to their base and
loaded everything onto it that wasn't nailed down, they pried up
everything else. "Never know, It could be useful someday..."

"We're not pack-rats. We are 'Rodents of extreme acquisition and
retention'."

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 7:51*pm, F. George McDuffee gmcduf...@mcduffee-
associates.us wrote:
On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 14:12:56 -0700 (PDT), Jim Wilkins
...What is unusual from the free
market "supply and demand" perspective is the current run-up of
oil prices to c. 85$US/bbl with no significant increase in global
consumption, no significant increase in the cost of production,
and no fall in aggregate supply. *This appears to indicate major
market manipulation and profiteering....
Unka George *(George McDuffee)

Not only oil, prices in general have been pushing upwards as much as
demand permits. How much have you seen On Sale since Christmas?
WalMart clothing has gone up a lot.

http://www.wtrg.com/oil_graphs/oilprice1947.gif
The price spikes were followed by recessions, reflected in the rapid
drops.

Perhaps the one to analyse for manipulation is the sharp rise in June
2000, shortly before the end of Clinton's term and seemingly not
obscured by concurrent political events.

By October it was being blamed on Bush.

jsw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

associates.us wrote:
The problem is that the reported results generally indicate that
most, if not all, of the conventional socio-economic/political
wisdom is wrong, and most of the credos, dogmas and shibboleths
of [political] ideology, where these can be put into testable
form and where data exists (which is too frequently *NOT* the
case), are not [or are no longer] correct. *...

Unka George *(George McDuffee)

Does it support my hypothesis that ONLY the price of oil controls the
world's economies?

jsw

=============
A very good question, but one that illustrates the limitations,
i.e.
most of the credos, dogmas and shibboleths
of [political] ideology, ==where these can be put into testable
form and where data exists== (which is too frequently *NOT* the
case),

===========

The big problem is phrasing or stating your question in a
concise, testable and consensual format.

Two immediate problems (there are most likely many others)

(1) What does the price of oil mean? If US dollars, then CY or
inflation adjusted, if not US dollars what? Euros, Yen, or
gold/silver?

(2) What metric should we use for the world's economies? Average
unemployment rate? Median unemployment rate? Absolute or percent
change in GDP? How should the data be weighted? By population
[China rules]? By percent of GWP (gross world product) generated?
[USA rules] Un weighted? [Luxembourg = China or USA]

Foreign exchange/conversion rates have a huge effect on this
question. Should we use the trading exchange rates or the PPP
[parity purchasing power] equivalents?

FWIW -- The price of oil appears to have a big effect in some
economies such as the US, while commodity price rises in
agricultural products such as rice, may have a major effect in
the less developed countries. What is unusual from the free
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aBbjr6rE0Mcs
http://www.proactiveinvestors.com.au...ies--6163.html
http://www.upstreamonline.com/live/a...chargenews_rss
http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...llars-a-barrel
http://www.businessinsider.com/opec-...-80-oil-2010-3

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-01, RBnDFW wrote:
The Bush policies are finally starting to yield positive results.
Of course, BHO's lackeys won't be giving Bush credit.

Recall the timeline of the events. The crisis hit us in the late
September of 2008, on the eights year of Bush presidency.

The crisis had been in the works for nearly two years at that point with
Congress passing the first of several spending measures on January 25th
(?)
2008.

Sounds about right, the crisis hit when the Democrats won big in the
election in 2006 and took a turn for the worse when Obama pulled ahead in
the polls around Sept 2008. No wonder the Bible says the "Fool" has said
there is no God, you Atheists prove the Bible correct time after time and
you don't even know it!

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-04-01, RBnDFW wrote:
The Bush policies are finally starting to yield positive results.
Of course, BHO's lackeys won't be giving Bush credit.

Recall the timeline of the events. The crisis hit us in the late
September of 2008, on the eights year of Bush presidency.

The crisis had been in the works for nearly two years at that point with
Congress passing the first of several spending measures on January 25th (?)
2008.

Looks like the stimulus payments will be sent out ahead of schedule, with
the 800,000 direct deposit payments on Monday April 28th, Tuesday,
Wednesday, and a whopping 5 million on Friday (none on Thursday). The
schedule of payments will follow the original schedule, just accelerated by
a week.

IIRC, the cost was 130 billion dollars.

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:35:51 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
snip
Which leads me to the question, how long would it take to rig such
an enterprise onto transportation to another location, one which might
be considered more business friendly?

snip
=========
While governmental/community attitude may be a part of the
problem, from what I can tell from the auction listings, a much
larger problem is the prevalence of obsolete/obsolescent
machinery which are most likely not worth the money to move for a
high volume commercial operation. Even if the equipment is in
pristine condition, if it is a generation (or more) old, quite
likely it is not worth moving to a new commercial location.

When a shop is filled with obsolete and/or "clapped out"
equipment, the odds are very high that the front office is
similarly "equipped," e.g. no CRM [customer relations management
software], no production scheduling software, no P/M software, no
A/R-A/P (accounts payable-accounts receivable software), no job
costing/tracking software, no or minimal CNC/cad software,
minimal tool crib controls, slow or no internet connections, no
web page, etc.

It may be possible to cherry pick from several shops and assemble
a decent commercial operation, but there is a reason that the
bankrupt shops went bankrupt.

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

Awesome! How many manufacturing jobs are they moving from China to the
USA?

RogerN

One of my clients ( www.esystemstechnology.com ) recently won a contract to
manufacture equipment that had been built in China. In the high-tech world,
engineering skill, quality and reliability trumps a few bucks in price.

In my experience there is much more engineering work this year than last.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That is what some of the folks are doing. Some saw the California
economy going south a couple years ago, so sold their homes and business
locations, and bought raw land in Idaho, and other states. One client of
mine sold his house for $350k, and sold his shop local for $850k

He moved to Idaho, bought 25 acres, had a brand new house built, had a
Butler Building erected..all for less than $250k, moved his machines up
for $50k and now has more than $900k in the bank, a fully functional
machine shop in operation and is happy as a clam.

Not everyone was that smart, or able to do that, unfortunately. Too
many forgot that the client was UPS away, or for the odd ones..needed to
be near their clients.

Now that the housing market bottom has fallen out..and the Commercial
Real Estate crunch is on the close horizon....that option may no longer
be available.

Gunner

tschus
pyotr

p.s. Yes, I am remembering the bit in a post-ww3 novel, where one
group of SEALS basically pulled an unused train up to their base and
loaded everything onto it that wasn't nailed down, they pried up
everything else. "Never know, It could be useful someday..."

"We're not pack-rats. We are 'Rodents of extreme acquisition and
retention'."

-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 19:18:51 -0600, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:35:51 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:
snip
[...]

Unfortunately..most (of what Ive seen so far) of the shops that went
bankrupt here in California..was that their clients went tits up first.

But you do make a good point.

Gunner

Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.

the subject." Grey Ghost
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 1 Apr 2010 22:36:43 +0200, the infamous "Steve Lusardi"
scrawled the following:

Iggy,
I'm amazed by your statement. When was the last time any product in the stores said "Made in the USA"? There is virtually no
serious manufacturing left in the States. You don't need statistics to witness this and in point of fact, without seeing US
products on the shelves, you have absolutely no justification for believing them. The same thing is happening in Europe and Japan.
We have already exported almost all of our manufacturing to the third world to remain competitive in the world market. Don't
believe the **** you read....look on the shelves.

Steve, I dare you to spend an hour in Walmart and NOT find at least a
hundred "Made in the USA" stickers on items. Manufacturing is still
alive and well here, but the mass production has gone entirely
overseas. Other companies are having things produced elsewhere and
assembled here, with our labor.

Virtually ALL of the small, custom items are still made here. Much
low-volume/high-technology stuff is made here, etc.

Don't write us off entirely.

Hell, my glare guards are made here in Oregon...by me, using as many
domestic products as possible. www.diversify.com/shades2.html
Volume? We won't discuss that. sigh

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/1/2010 11:37 AM, Pete C. wrote:

Hawke wrote:

[...]

I agree with you that political parties don't want to admit when their
policies fail. But that is why you don't go to them if you want to know
if they succeeded or failed. You look at the facts and statistics. Just
look at the economic statistics under Bush. You don't have to ask anyone
if they are good or not. It's obvious they are horrible. Now you have to
give Obama the time to see if his are any good. He's been there a little
more than a year. A year ago the stock market was at 6600 and the growth
rate was -6%, and unemployment was around 10%. Needless to say, things
are much better. Just look at the stats. But Obama needs more time
before you can actually credit him for the turn around. Usually it takes
at least 2 or 3 years to see how your policies work. By 2011 or 2012
we're really know how Obama did. But I know that no matter how poorly or
how well he does it'll be better than Bush.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Unfortunately, nobody left or right can admit when their policies have
failed, and mostly nobody can even correlate their policies and the
actual results since there is such a long lag time before they typically
have any effect. This is of course why everything is cyclic.

Of course there's lag time.
The Bush policies are finally starting to yield positive results.
Of course, BHO's lackeys won't be giving Bush credit.

Just one question he Are you completely out of your freaking mind?

I was just wondering why he wasn't giving Reagan the credit for the
positive results.

Hawke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 16:07:52 -0500, the infamous Ignoramus23298
scrawled the following:

On 2010-04-01, Hawke wrote:

What the hell are you quoting HIM for?

I thin that being as partisan as you are, leads to making the same
mistakes as what the "Obama haters" are making, which is failure to
consider reality due to too much prejudices.

Your term "Obama haters" isn't quite correct. Most of us don't hate
the man himself, we dislike what he stands for: liberalism, bigotry
(as affirmative action), and socialism/HUGE government.

The reality is that, Obama or not, the United States is built on a
flexible, and solid, foundation of free enterprise, relative fairness,
competition and well honest educated, labor force with great work
ethic.

Except where unions and greed (or do I repeat myself?) come in, that's
very true.

What Bush administration and most everyone else missed, was that due
to proliferation of shadow banking, the economy was again susceptible
to banking panics.

So our Chief puts the guy responsible for that in charge of the
treasury. sigh

Where the Federal Reserve and Obama administration succeeded, is in
credibly convincing the markets that they will not allow a Depression
style calamity, no matter what deficit they would need to run. That
worked and our economy is returning to sensible functioning.

Gee, that's good to hear, Ig. Saaaay, I'd like to sell you some
warehouse space in the Everglades. Got a minute?

The administration of President Bush gets some, but very little,
credit for this.

In any case, I urge everyone to thin more about the future than about
the past. What is the likely fture that awaits us, what are the
dangers or risks, etc.

Oh, we are, Ig. We are!

My expectation is for a general recovery and decent growth and modest
reduction of unemployment rate. That should help bring deficits closer
to sustainable levels.

What's Obama got to do with that? He is, if anything, slowing it with
his spending policies. Shrub's guilty of that, too. big sigh

With all of this in mind, and the prices where I hope to be, I would
hope be able to find some little industrial style investment of my
own. What I do not plan on doing is speculating on currencies,
interest rates, and other things. I also do not plan on leveraging
myself in a dangerous way.

Good to hear.

--
It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent,
but the one most responsive to change.
-- Charles Darwin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Hawke wrote:
[...]

What I know and understand about politics wouldn't cover the bottom of a
very small thimble, but I have to ask, just as Ed did.
Are you out of your freaking mind? Ten years for Bush policies to start
working? Seems to me, they started working long ago. Why the hell do
you think we've been in the mess we've "enjoyed"?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
news

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

Awesome! How many manufacturing jobs are they moving from China to the
USA?

RogerN

One of my clients ( www.esystemstechnology.com ) recently won a contract
to manufacture equipment that had been built in China. In the high-tech
world, engineering skill, quality and reliability trumps a few bucks in
price.

In my experience there is much more engineering work this year than last.

That's good to hear. Sometimes I wonder if there's ever a WWIII, will the
USA be able to stand on our own manufacturing ability, or will we need to be
supplied by those we are at war with?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

Do your glare guards make a TV screen viewable outdoors? I'm wondering
because one of my hobby projects is first person view R/C, mounting a camera
in a R/C model and operating it by viewing the picture on a TV/Monitor.
They have video goggles but they are running over $300 for the better
resolution (640 X 480) ones last time I looked.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Lusardi" wrote:

Iggy,
I'm amazed by your statement. When was the last time any product in the stores said "Made in the USA"? There is virtually no
serious manufacturing left in the States. You don't need statistics to witness this and in point of fact, without seeing US
products on the shelves, you have absolutely no justification for believing them. The same thing is happening in Europe and Japan.
We have already exported almost all of our manufacturing to the third world to remain competitive in the world market. Don't
believe the **** you read....look on the shelves.
Steve

I work in the manufacturing sector. I was pretty thrilled the other day when a stud we
use that was purchased off shore was replaced by a USA made item. USA was able to make
the spec and do it for a competitive price.

I purchase a lot of things from McMaster-Carr, I've noticed over time, that a huge amount
of what they sell is produced in the USA. When it isn't, it is from nations like France,
Germany, and Japan. I seldom recieve Chineese products from that firm.

Manufacturing isn't dead yet, we just have a lot of competition that didn't exist not so
long ago. It is sorting itself out.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Richard W." wrote:

All I can do is keep trying to find another job and wait and see what
happens with the economy. Only time will tell if our leader is good or bad.

I wish you success in the job hunt. Back during 2001/02 I got a taste of going from
wanted and needed to needing to be wanted. It wasn't a pleasant experience though I think
I've grown from it.

Only time will tell on our leadership and then the view be subject to the distortion of
one's ideology.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:04:10 -0700, Tim Wescott
wrote:

Steve Lusardi wrote:
[...]

Only another anecdote, but my situation is similar. I design and build
automation, tooling, and misc manufacturing equipment. I ran out of
work for the first time in 25 years around the end of 2008. There's
been enough to keep busy since, but no backlog. More recently demand
has increased to the point that I've started refusing work again.

On the other hand, employment at my largest customer is still way
down, and the folks that are there are working harder than ever. In
other words, they're spending on capital projects, but seem to be
waiting as long as possible to rehire production workers.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RBnDFW" wrote in message
Pete C. wrote:
Hawke wrote:
[...]

of course my statement was tongue in cheek, and the responses were
predictable.
We've beaten this dead horse to death, but I do have to point out
that the current political and economic quagmire we find ourselves in
has many roots, and many more pointed fingers, some justified, some not.
My conclusion, which is worth what you pay for it, is that our
leaders did some incredibly stupid things over a long period of time. I
think the Democrats did the most damage, but not by much.
Today, I don't know if the situation is salvageable. I am just going
to take care of myself and the people I care about, hope for the best,
plan for the worst.
And I'm going to be a lot more politically active.

Old time manufacturing Rick[_9_] Metalworking 16 May 25th 09 04:31 AM
Manufacturing our own spectacles? JR North Metalworking 0 January 4th 09 11:11 PM
manufacturing in Germany. Wes[_2_] Metalworking 4 February 16th 08 12:02 AM
Putting and Offer on Townhome in Booming Area [email protected] Home Ownership 12 January 8th 07 08:03 PM
What is the future of manufacturing? Hardwired Metalworking 157 August 22nd 03 01:14 AM