Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Manufacturing is BOOMING in USA

On Apr 1, 2:04*pm, Tim Wescott wrote:
Steve Lusardi wrote:

(top posting fixed) "Ignoramus23298" wrote in message
m...
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...57515770173980....

(referenced article snipped)

* Iggy,
* I'm amazed by your statement. When was the last time any product in the
* stores said "Made in the USA"? There is virtually no serious
* manufacturing left in the States. You don't need statistics to witness
* this and in point of fact, without seeing US products on the shelves,
* you have absolutely no justification for believing them. The same thing
* is happening in Europe and Japan. We have already exported almost all of
* our manufacturing to the third world to remain competitive in the world
* market. Don't believe the **** you read....look on the shelves.
* Steve
*
For an alternate set of data, consider my customer list -- with a few
exceptions, I do all of my work for US manufacturing companies, and they
support me very well indeed. *No one hires a design consultant if they
don't intend to be manufacturing what the guy designs, and relatively
soon. *While my business isn't booming it's certainly picking up
steadily but slowly.

--
Tim Wescott
Control system and signal processing consultingwww.wescottdesign.com

I see the same thing on the manufacturing end, Tim. Our orders keep
increasing every month. New circuit board designs as well as old
production. My GM made a delivery this morning of GPS boards. The
customer had two pallets of finished electronic assemblies ready to
ship TO China!!!

Our big problem is component availability. Many distributors list a
component with stock on hand and then call and say oops, bin is empty
and factory says they will deliver in 6-8 weeks. Meantime, we have to
pay for all the rest of the components now and wait till the stray
arrives. Then one pops up that gives us a December 15 delivery date.
The Chinese way of saying they will NEVER make that transformer again.

Overall, things in manufacturing are getting much better than 2009.

Paul