Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 21:10:57 -0500, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

On 3/30/2010 8:38 PM, Max wrote:

I like your suggestion but I think I would have a difficult time
implementing it.

I cheated with mine (and I didn't need a nine-footer) - I clamped a 4x8
sheet of 3/4" BB to my base board, slapped my 8' pre-drilled 3/4" angle

Whassa "3/4 BB", Mawwwwwriss?

up against that, and screwed it down while holding the angle against the
plywood edge.

Then I unclamped the plywood and used my circular saw to trim the width
of the base board.

The porch frame I just put in was 1.5" out of square. I built it that
way because the porch roof/railing/uprights were all skewed and the
roof would have looked out of square if I'd built it properly. sigh
So, I needed to rip a couple of six foot tubasixes. Nix the SCMS. Nix
the Ryobi portable table saur. Nix the Tiger saw. Nix the ryoba. Nix
the pruning saw. Nix the razor knife. Nix the Zona saw. Nix the
drywall saw. And nix the fret saw. Hmm...what else do I carry?

OK, the ancient Skilsaw gets the job. (Not a hard choice.

I put another piece of tubasix up against the piece I wanted to cut
and used it as the straightedge with a very dull HF blade. After the
smoke cleared, I put on a new blade that night. The other stick cut
in about 1/4 the time, and without any of the smoke. Amazing!
(Note to self: remember to replace the blades you use with new ones so
you'll have them in the truck when you need them.)

It's straight enough.

That's exactly what I said and the owner concurred. He added "It's
only a rental unit."

--
May those who love us, love us;
And may those that don't love us,