Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 3/30/2010 8:57 PM, Max wrote:

Well, *if* I go with the Festool, it will be the FS75. I've read where
the smaller one seems underpowered.

I don't think it is, but I have FS75, mainly due to the extra depth of
cut. I am a firm believer in "batch cutting" as a means of maintaining
'square" in cabinet components, and this extra depth allows me to cut more
stock at a time.

Thanks for the recommendation.
Question:
Will a 1-1/4" vac hose fit the Festool ?

I can't answer that from personal experience. I bought the smaller vac
(CT22E) mainly because Leon's advise, and due to the "fit" with all the
other tools, and I have a large dust collector in the shop for the heavy
work ... and I have plans to switch over to mostly Festool on things like
routers, jigsaw, etc. as jobs, and finances, permit, which work with
either Festool vac. (I may be dreaming here, but what the hell)

I will say that Leon ordered, for both of us, an adapter that fits the
Kreg pocket hole jig so either of the Festool vacs can be used with it, so
I think you may be OK in that regard.

Perhaps he will chime in here.

I think that a 1.25" ID would be too large. But there are lots of adapters
out there. The adapter that Swingman mentioned for the Kreg jig is made by
Fein.
I measured the Festool Hose, the ID is 15/16" OD is 1.5".

I have enough shop vacs of various sizes that I'd hate to have to get
the festool vac just for the saw.

Go ahead and get the Festool vac! LOL. You will probably not use the
others again... the Festool vac works really well and is "quiet".
Typically the power tool drowns out the noise of the vac.