Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

On 3/30/2010 11:55 PM, Robatoy wrote:

With some of that precision at my disposal, I still reach for my
trusty 12-foot x 6" aluminum straight edge. I still do many cross cuts
with a 48" shooting board with my Skil worm-drive. Then again, that
Corian is awkward and heavy and the tools are a lot easier to move.
The 75 model Festool is not far away. I have used it and there is no
equal. A lot of the attraction comes from its dustcontrol.

That makes sense to me, and my attitude would probably change if I were
working with difficult-to-move materials. What I build doesn't begin to
become heavy/awkward until assembly time - at which point I tip it onto
a pallet and wrap/strap it for shipment. Even then I'll guess that a
fully assembled 8x6 solar panel on its pallet weighs less than a full
sheet of your solid surface material. I'm glad I don't have to muscle
stuff like that around my shop...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar