Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

On Mar 31, 12:20*am, Morris Dovey wrote:
On 3/30/2010 9:55 PM, Swingman wrote:

Whatever works for your particular use. I did that for 20 years and
there is no comparison, for what I do, with the "plunge" saw methodology.

AAMOF, I have very straight 105" and 48" aluminum angle, complete with a
guide system that will fit any circular saw, that has been resigned to
the dust bin of history.

Never again ...

I confess that I haven't used mine for quite a while, too - same with my
panel saw. Nowadays I cut more accurately without any guide at all.

In fact I use the same tool to cut precise elipses, parabolas, gears,
text, dovetails, M&T's, dados, lap joints,...

...in wood, plastics, and soft metals.

But not everyone needs, wants, or can afford spendy tools - and I have
to admit that my old angle guide (and the little SawSquare for
cross-cutting) worked well enough to halve a knife mark.

I'd be happy to join you and Leon on the Festool cheering squad, but I
prefer to not sacrifice precision and flexibility for portability I
don't need.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

With some of that precision at my disposal, I still reach for my
trusty 12-foot x 6" aluminum straight edge. I still do many cross cuts
with a 48" shooting board with my Skil worm-drive. Then again, that
Corian is awkward and heavy and the tools are a lot easier to move.
The 75 model Festool is not far away. I have used it and there is no
equal. A lot of the attraction comes from its dustcontrol.