Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Dodged a Bullet Last Night

GarageWoodworks wrote:

Very sad. It doesn't get any worse than what happened in Greensburg.

I did more driving around today with the wife and kids and saw more
damage (no camera this time). I saw buses that were thrown across the
street and homes pushed off of there foundations. I also saw a brick
home that had the front bricks stripped off (I guess it was a brick
facade?). It is very sad driving around the homes. I don't know if
I'd even feel comfortable taking more pictures. It's too much to
stomach.

I drove out today to the nearest point that the twister came to me and
used my GPS to calculate the distance to my house and it was 0.75
miles!!!!!!

Only thing that would have made it worse would have been for Greensburg
to have been a much larger place than it was/is so there would have been
more population affected...in a way it was fortunate the G'burg was only
a 1500-population little town even though it took out most of the town.

Speaking of moving things, there was a full-size Buick on the roof of
the Courthouse afterwards (3-stories and only building to survive
reasonably intact other than the grain elevators on the north side of town).

They found a combine from the John Deere dealership located on the west
edge of town rolled up like a wad of aluminum foil almost 5 miles N of
town...and not a little guy, this was new 9700-series four-wheel drive
monster. All it was lacking was it didn't have the header on the front.
I'm guessing it weighed -- well, let's see, let's just look one up;
it's a larger machine than ours -- wow!!! JD say ~30,000 lb w/o header.
Hmmm....if I compute a wind force times an estimated projected area
-- yeah, I get 30k-lbf by a fair margin...man, I'm more impressed after
that exercise than I was when I saw the sucker out there...I didn't
think actual weight would be much over half that and the thought of that
was daunting enough.