Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

On 3/30/2010 8:05 PM, Max wrote:
I've been using a shop-made, 9 foot long, guide to cut plywood, etc.
It's just a 1x4 screwed to 1/2 inch Baltic Birch ply. The edge of the
1X4 has acquired a slight groove where the foot of the circular saw runs
against it.
I remember the job it was making the guide and getting it absolutely
straight.
I'm not particularly interested in doing it again.

I'm pondering the purchase of a Plunge/"track" saw.
But I see descriptions of "anti splinter" strips, glide strips, high
friction strips and other "add-ons" or replacements.
Do I really need all that extra crap.
I'm almost tempted to buy just the "track" and use the same saw
(Milwaukee *left* blade) I've been using but I thought the plunge
ability and other advantages would be worth the money.
Some input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Lord have mercy! If you can stand the freight, run, don't walk, to get
the Festool FS55 or FS75!

The guide rails come with all that stuff and I've cut a lot of sheet
goods (and even tubafours and sheathing) thus far with no inkling of
having to replace any of those components.

There are a world of videos on youtube ... check'em out.

Festool will put a smile on your face ... GUARANTEED!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08