Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

On 3/30/2010 8:05 PM, Max wrote:
I've been using a shop-made, 9 foot long, guide to cut plywood, etc.
It's just a 1x4 screwed to 1/2 inch Baltic Birch ply. The edge of the
1X4 has acquired a slight groove where the foot of the circular saw runs
against it.
I remember the job it was making the guide and getting it absolutely
straight.
I'm not particularly interested in doing it again.

I'm pondering the purchase of a Plunge/"track" saw.
But I see descriptions of "anti splinter" strips, glide strips, high
friction strips and other "add-ons" or replacements.
Do I really need all that extra crap.
I'm almost tempted to buy just the "track" and use the same saw
(Milwaukee *left* blade) I've been using but I thought the plunge
ability and other advantages would be worth the money.
Some input would be appreciated.

Save some of your hard-earned cash - just replace the 1 x 4 with a piece
of 1/8" x 1-1/2" aluminum angle.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar