Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

Default Festool, DeWalt, or Makita?

I've been using a shop-made, 9 foot long, guide to cut plywood, etc.
It's just a 1x4 screwed to 1/2 inch Baltic Birch ply. The edge of the 1X4
has acquired a slight groove where the foot of the circular saw runs against
it.
I remember the job it was making the guide and getting it absolutely
straight.
I'm not particularly interested in doing it again.

I'm pondering the purchase of a Plunge/"track" saw.
But I see descriptions of "anti splinter" strips, glide strips, high
friction strips and other "add-ons" or replacements.
Do I really need all that extra crap.
I'm almost tempted to buy just the "track" and use the same saw (Milwaukee
*left* blade) I've been using but I thought the plunge ability and other
advantages would be worth the money.
Some input would be appreciated.
Thanks,

Max