Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Dodged a Bullet Last Night

GarageWoodworks wrote:

My local rag ran a story on the twister today w/ a damage path.
it's in our paper today for those that want to read about it.

A link might help.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2..._the_whirlwind

Certainly glad nobody hurt...

http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/greensburgh1.jpg

Partial shot of what Greensburg looked like shortly (like several weeks,
I'd guess, didn't see an indication when the photo was actually taken
but there's been a ton of debris hauled off before this was taken--it
was impossible to drive virtually anywhere immediately after).

I went up (it's about 80 miles from us) early the morning after and came
up the south end of main street which is a mile east of the main highway
that was blocked off. Once to the damage area in town, you couldn't
tell which was street and which was block--the debris field was 3-ft
deep essentially uniform. Damage was so complete locals couldn't even
recognize which block/intersection was which much of the time.

Spent that day helping several folks recover enough belongings to be
able to make it to relatives or motels that evening and many of the next
several weeks as could in cleanup...after the second day they cordoned
off the entire community and only through qualified organizations were
anybody allowed in/out for about two months or maybe even longer...

Link to a storm chasers' page who chased it back north from OK/TX from
about Coldwater,KS, where he first saw it about 40 miles S of Greensburg.

http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/may4-2007Greensburg-Kansas-tornado.html

It'll be a while 'afore I'll be forgettin' this-here 'un...this is third
year coming up and I've become much more diligent about my storm spotter
training and making sure the weather radio has batteries...