Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Dodged a Bullet Last Night

On 3/29/2010 6:13 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
I am really curious as to the effect of having hurricane ties and/or better
fasteners would have had on those houses. I know, you get hit hard enough,
almost nothing will standu up tothe force. But I saw houses that the second
story was removed. Would a stonger tie-in to the first story have prevented
that?

One of the big things in high wind areas is the proper installation of
"shear walls" for resistance to lateral forces, aka wind and earthquakes
.... we even have a separate inspection for that here, and it gets all
the way down to the nitty gritty of the nailing patterns on the
overlapping sheathing between the first and second floor exterior walls.

Most definitely something to take into consideration when designing a
structure, as every little bit or mitigation helps.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08