Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default Dodged a Bullet Last Night

"GarageWoodworks" wrote in message
On Mar 29, 6:13 pm, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:
I am really curious as to the effect of having hurricane ties and/or
better
fasteners would have had on those houses. I know, you get hit hard enough,
almost nothing will standu up tothe force. But I saw houses that the
second
story was removed. Would a stonger tie-in to the first story have
prevented
that?

The houses with the siding gone made me wonder if that would have happened
with screws? Maybe the wind would have just bent them all up.

I assume if big storms happen there that building codes would have been
strengthened recently. Older houses would not have the improvements.

Do folks have storm shelters around thre?

No storm shelters, but wish I had one now.

Well there ya go, your next project.

I can see it now, an internal gazebo like structure made from Ipe with teak
inlays. All the corners will be mitered half lap joints. Ya make it big
enough, use enough of that heavy tropical wood, the wind wouldn't dare blow
it away!

And you can make another video! ;-)