Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Dodged a Bullet Last Night

On Mar 29, 12:09*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
From the damage I estimate an F2-F3 tonado 2-3 miles from my home. *A
total of 8 touched down in High Point last night.

Scary stuff.

Pictures from a nearby neighborhood:http://www.garagewoodworks.com/hp_tornado

Glad you got through it. Those things do weird things. Wichita and
Andover Kansas was hit by an F5 during the early 90's that tore up
McConnell AFB, southeast Wichita and decimated the south part of
Andover. We watched it move across the southern horizon for 10-15
minutes before heading to the basement. It hit a friends house just
east of us and took one end out of the living area and removed two
walls from his garage shop. He never found his floor drill press and
his Unisaw was about three blocks from the house inside of another
house. His work bench was completely in tact. The mason jar full of
mineral spirits was on the bench, and the paint brushes he used a
couple of nights before were still hanging over the edge of his bench
beside his stale, half full coffee cup.

While we were helping clean up their mess, a neighbor walked over and
said "come over to our place. I want to show you something." His
house was moderately damaged but livable. He led us into laundry room
and said "Look in the dryer." I thought "What the hell!" But when I
opened the dryer door the engine head of a Ryobi weed eater was in the
dryer. The rest of it was sticking out through the back of the dryer
and the cutting head was protruding through the siding outside of the
house. We extracted the machine and it was in surprisingly good
condition.

RonB