Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Anniversary of an amazingly enduring design

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 11:59:33 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:17:37 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:25:44 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus11443 wrote:

That's a very enduring design, yes. I actually own a Beretta and love
it. How does that .45 handle, is the recoil a little too much?

I prefer 9mm personally, mostly for the high capacity. I have shot
friend's .45s many times during the same shooting sessions as my 9mms
and really didn't notice much difference in recoil. Given my tendency
for carpal tunnel issues I would think I'd notice. I do notice a
difference in recoil between my two S&W 9mms, one being metal frame and
one being plastic frame with about 12oz weight difference and otherwise
with the same barrel length and shooting the same ammunition. The
lighter plastic frame 9mm has more pronounced recoil as you would expect
with the lower weight / mass.

High capacity? How many people do you figure are going to be attacking
you at one time? If its more than 3..doncha think a rifle would be a
better tool?

Zero would be my preference. I just don't want to have any real
possibility of going empty in any reasonably probable scenario.

Average number of rounds fired in a self defense shooting
situation...2.5 G

Average range, 7 yrds

I think you are going to be pretty safe with a 8 rd weapon that can
actually stop someone with the first round. That unfortunately cant be
said of the 9mm

I think the idea that a .45 is an elephant gun that will stop a subject
with one shot and a 9mm is a pea shooter that couldn't stop a subject
with a whole box of ammo is a bunch of nonsense just like Ford vs. Chevy
vs. Dodge.

the 45 is hardly an elephant gun and the 9mm is hardly a pea shooter.

However...that the .45 is far superior to the 9mm is hardly an issue.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/stopping_power_dialogue.htm
http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/...eb.htm#page_15
http://www.firearmstactical.com/pdf/fbi-hwfe.pdf

You may wish to study this chart....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_power_chart.htm

and review these articles....

http://www.mouseguns.com/amball.htm

Carry what you want. If you carry a round that has minimal "stopping
power", with luck, he might let you shoot him until he actually does go
down.
If not..he might simply kill you.

Something to consider when carrying a firearm in the Real World

Gunner
45acp with 230gr Golden Sabres
357 Mag with 125gr JHP
.41 Mag with 210gr Golden Sabres

My 9mm typically has either the 124gr JHP Golden Sabers, or 124gr FMJ
Rangers. I also don't aim for CoM.