Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Anniversary of an amazingly enduring design

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010 03:01:40 -0700, the infamous Gunner Asch
scrawled the following:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:17:37 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 10:25:44 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Ignoramus11443 wrote:

That's a very enduring design, yes. I actually own a Beretta and love
it. How does that .45 handle, is the recoil a little too much?

I prefer 9mm personally, mostly for the high capacity. I have shot
friend's .45s many times during the same shooting sessions as my 9mms
and really didn't notice much difference in recoil. Given my tendency
for carpal tunnel issues I would think I'd notice. I do notice a
difference in recoil between my two S&W 9mms, one being metal frame and
one being plastic frame with about 12oz weight difference and otherwise
with the same barrel length and shooting the same ammunition. The
lighter plastic frame 9mm has more pronounced recoil as you would expect
with the lower weight / mass.

High capacity? How many people do you figure are going to be attacking
you at one time? If its more than 3..doncha think a rifle would be a
better tool?

Zero would be my preference. I just don't want to have any real
possibility of going empty in any reasonably probable scenario.

Average number of rounds fired in a self defense shooting
situation...2.5 G

Average range, 7 yrds

I think you are going to be pretty safe with a 8 rd weapon that can
actually stop someone with the first round. That unfortunately cant be
said of the 9mm

And how long does it usually take to get that 2nd or 3rd round off?
Chances are good that the first would stop most people or convince
them to turn around. Those that wouldn't be stopped might not be
stopped by the 1st .45 round, either, but why chance it?

Do you have a better stat list than this one? The 63-91% stopping
power variance on the 9mm seems awfully wide. I tend to think of stats
being a somewhat fixed number, don't you?
http://www.internetarmory.com/handgunammo.htm

--
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for.
-- Earl Warren