Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. Slocomb John B. Slocomb is offline

Default Anniversary of an amazingly enduring design

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 14:04:25 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"John" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 11:19:06 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Ignoramus11443" wrote in message
news:vMCdnWWkoaaMhzPWnZ2dnUVZ_sCdnZ2d@giganews. com...
That's a very enduring design, yes. I actually own a Beretta and love
it. How does that .45 handle, is the recoil a little too much?

The recoil is completely undramatic. With service loads, it's a little
slower to get back on target than a full-size nine, but it doesn't feel
heavy to me. I'm been shooting them for just under 40 years and they
remain
my favorite target pistol.

With hardball ammunition?

John B.

I shoot my .45 with hardball, and with semi-wadcutters and light loads. I
don't feel anything qualitatively different with the hardball.

I always thought it was me. I'm fairly light; I may just roll with it better
than some. My 3-1/2" magnum shotgun leaves me black and blue, and hurting,
but I can shoot a .44 magnum handgun with full loads and not suffer from it
a bit. It's kind of odd.

I assume that you are changing the recoil spring when you change
ammunition :-)

But more seriously, when I was shooting in matches I don't remember
that I was ever conscious of the gun "kicking". What was noticeable
when going from say, my center-fire gun to the .45, or from a .45
match to a national trophy (hard-ball) match was the amount of time it
took to get back on target.

Apparently that wasn't just my perception as in general discussion
with other teams the usual excuse as to why someone didn't "leg" that
day was that the hard-ball took too much time to get back on target.

However, a member of the team brought his brand new S&W 44 magnum out
the range one day to show the boys. "Want to shoot it?" he says, and I
thought I did. He graciously loaded the gun and handed it to me. The
first shot seemed to have no more recoil then .45 wad-cutter loads.
Ha! Thinks I, all the B.S. about the .44 mag must be just new
shooters. The I fired the next chamber, Who! Ha! The damned gun jumped
so far I though it was going over my shoulder.

Of course, what he had done was load a light .44 special load in the
first chamber and an Elmer Keith load in the second. But he did
convince me that the .44 magnum was powerful gun :-)

John B. Slocomb