Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default A machine question -- on topic!

On 3/28/10 8:28 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 3/28/2010 12:48 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Not a tool, but a "Craftsman" miter saw stand, from Highland
Woodworking
or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon literally
twisted my
arm and made me buy it! (I think he was interested but needed to see
what
it looked like before he spent his money!)

Anyhow, the rubber feet wouldn't fit the tubular legs, the wheels
are in
an awkward place, and the whole thing is basically an accident
looking for
a place to happen ... it's been stored in a corner with never a saw
mounted on it yet.

Leon took one look at it, up went his nose, and immediately wanted to
know why I would ever, fergawrdssakes, buy such a thing?!

I have this one and it's awesome.
http://xrl.us/mitersawstand

One of my trim carpenters has the Ridgid. He added a couple of
reinforcing welds before he got it to his perfect satisfaction, but
loves it.

I messed with it a bit on the last job and have to admit that it's the
best one I've operated in use thus far. Very easy to fold up and transport.

Yeah, soon after pinching my hand *once,* I fell in love with it.
The best part is the shock that takes all the weight of the saw falling
down when it folds up. I added a couple casters to the top/handle end,
so it would roll, flat, into my minivan.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--