Posted to rec.woodworking

Default A machine question -- on topic!

On Sun, 28 Mar 2010 08:28:02 -0500, Swingman wrote:

On 3/28/2010 12:48 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
Not a tool, but a "Craftsman" miter saw stand, from Highland Woodworking
or somesuch, $149.99 on closeout for 39.99, and Leon literally
twisted my
arm and made me buy it! (I think he was interested but needed to see
what
it looked like before he spent his money!)

Anyhow, the rubber feet wouldn't fit the tubular legs, the wheels are in
an awkward place, and the whole thing is basically an accident
looking for
a place to happen ... it's been stored in a corner with never a saw
mounted on it yet.

Leon took one look at it, up went his nose, and immediately wanted to
know why I would ever, fergawrdssakes, buy such a thing?!

I have this one and it's awesome.
http://xrl.us/mitersawstand

One of my trim carpenters has the Ridgid. He added a couple of
reinforcing welds before he got it to his perfect satisfaction, but
loves it.

I messed with it a bit on the last job and have to admit that it's the
best one I've operated in use thus far. Very easy to fold up and transport.

Mine is shop made and a PITA to move, but works well when stationary,
which is what it is designed for, although it works well onsite on a
couple of sawhorses. Takes up too much room in the shop though.

I have a Dewalt stand for my (HF) SCMS[*] It's rather nice and a couple of
extra flanges makes it simple matter to change tools. I also have the Delta
stand that I use for my DW735 planer.
[*] It's on the replacement short list