Posted to rec.woodworking
LDosser LDosser is offline

Default O/T: Major Sea Changes

"Upscale" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 15:17:58 -0700, "LDosser"
wrote:

What is it with some Canadians, the level of whining about the US makes me
wonder if they have a life.

Nah! The only life we've got is hoping that we get invaded by the US.
Maybe then we won't get ripped off as much for tools and stuff that
sell considerably cheaper in the US.

Been talking to Leon a bit about my plans to purchase a Festool Domino
and a CT22 vacuum package. $1279 in the US, approximately $1700 before
taxes in Canada. Doesn't matter one shred that the Canadian dollar is
almost at par, we consistently get gouged anyway. Can't even order it.
Damned Festool has prohibited US dealers from shipping their products
to Canada.

Planning a road trip to Buffalo with a buddy of mine. Couple of hours
to the border, make the purchase, few hours back. Just have to hope
that duty at the border is not excessive. Must investigate duty costs.

Don't they still allow you a certain amount if you stay three days?

Had my car tossed on the American side coming back from BC one time. Guy
asked if I bought anything and I told him the truth: nothing I didn't
consume. Seen better dressed and better appearing gas pump jocks than what
passes for customs American side. Canada customs, OTOH, are always smartly
dressed, etc.