Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels Lee Michaels is offline

Default A machine question -- on topic!

My plywood cutting guide story.

I needed a saw guide of some kind and asked the guy at my local lumber yard
what he reccommended. He told me about a special order item that would work.
I bought it and went in and paid for it. The manager went nuts on me because
I did not prepay for it. I told me to chill out and just take my money. When
that didn't work, I walked away. That got his attention. I paid and left.

I got it home and set it up on a sheet of plywood. I made several cuts with
it. Then when I went to assemble the plywood, none of the surfaces mated
well. I checked them and they were not straight! I picked up the guide and
looked down it. It had a nice curve right in the middle. At least an inch
and half dip right in the middle of this extruded aluminum saw guide.

I took it back and showed this to the manager of this local lumber yard. He
informed me since this was a special order item, he couldn't do anything for
me. I told him that I liked it. I just wanted a straight guide and I would
be happy. He told me to go home and straighten it out! (That didn't work)

I wasted money on this thing. I ruined some plywood. I lost a bunch of time.
I never went back there again. He lost thousands of dollars worth of
business from me. I told this story to as many people as I could. I know of
several people who decided they would get their lumber elsewhere after
hearing this story.

They are out of business now. I wonder why. Good riddance.