Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Polarization Rampant - Woodworking Topics - almost zilch

On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:16:00 -0800, the infamous charlie b
scrawled the following:

At least in the past, FLAME WARS were mainly woodworking related. But
for the most part, name calling and such was kept to a minimum, and
often valuable woodworking information was learned.

Politics, especially polarizing politics doesn't do much in the way of
producing any useful woodworking information and frankly, there are
other news groups dedicated to politics that seem, at least to me, to be
a better place for political exchanges - that go on and on and on and on
and . . .

And the chances of those topics moving to the other realms are, what?
Zip, right.

So - a question.

Why all the plans for Arts & Craft / Greene & Greene / Stickley pieces
in magazines - and NONE on chinese furniture and joinery. There's a
long and
deep pool of joinery and design waiting to be tapped by an editor and I
for one
am awaiting some of that info with great anticipation.

I, for one, do not plan on spending 4 years learning and perfecting
Japanese and/or Chinese joinery _just_ so I can make a temple,
Charlie.

What would you like to see woodworking magazines get into?

Just received the 2nd issue of a 2-year scrip to PopWood for $18 and
I'm enjoying the articles on design. Mo dat, preese. And less
"modern" furniture. And fewer articles on "distressing" furniture.
Oh, gimme more toolmaking, too!

--
Challenges are gifts that force us to search for a new center of gravity.
Don't fight them. Just find a different way to stand.