IMM

Default Pushfit plumbing question

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
om...
PoP wrote in message

. ..
On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 23:50:47 +0100, "John Stumbles"
] wrote:

Had one Speedfit (tm) fail where the grab ring (plastic 'crown' shaped

piece
with metal teeth in the petals of the crown) seems to have split in 2.

Had
one Hep2O fail where the O ring split. Had one Speedfit weep where it

went
onto copper pipe which was a bit gritty or dented (forget which).

Discovered
that 22mm Speedfit doesn't work on 3/4" copper tube :-)

You are filling me with confidence about Speedfit fittings. I can't
wait to give them a try.

To put into perspective those are the failures I've had in hundreds of
connectors. I've also had compression joints that have given me
callbacks,

Usually the poorer quality makes. Good Conex have never given me any
problems in over 30 years. You get what you pay for.

solder joints that ****ed water

Poor craftsmanship in making the joint.

Generally I find pushfit more reliable than
compression and a lot less
fiddly than either compression or solder.

Less fiddly that is for sure, but there is a price to pay, the are expensive
and require more clipping around the joints to redce stress on the joint.
Plastic pipe is suspect,depending on installation, on hot supplies. I find
brass or copper pushfit fittings on copper pipe giving no problems at all.
Yet! Brass or copper pushfit fitting using copper pipe is the best pushfit
method, only using plastic where necessary: in garages, threading through
inaccessible floors, where cemenet or plaster may cover the pipe.

Plastic has its usages. It is no panacea. It should be viewed objectively
and only used whereit is best suited.

---