Posted to alt.home.repair
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Question on plumbing average cost- location New England...For new toilet and change pedestal plumbing

"KOS" wrote in message
On Mar 24, 7:05 pm, "h" wrote:
"KOS" wrote in message

My concern with the faucets- remember I already have faucets in the
pedestal.. How do I change the shut off valves?? Right now they are
brass... The new faucets will be brushed- so I will have brushed shut
off valves-- If I could find instructions on how to change the shut
off valves, then I could do it myself

Most shut off valves are threaded on to a pipe coming out of the wall.

Assuming you have that kind of set up, you:
1] Shut off the water at the main valve to your house.
2] Unscrew the old valve from the pipe with a wrench.
3] Apply pipe dope or Teflon tape to the pipe nipple
4] Screw on the new valve and tighten it with a wrench.

The second kind of attachment would be a compression fitting. This kind of
fitting is used on copper pipe, and requires no torch or solder. A nut is
placed over the pipe with the threads facing outwards. Next a metal ring
(ferrule)is placed over the pipe. The valve is then placed on the pipe and
the nut is screwed on to the valve body and the ferrule is compressed
between them, snugging everything tight and effecting a seal.

The third type is soldered on to the pipe coming out of the wall. Changing
these out requires a bit of skill and since you are asking the question you
probably should hire the job out.

You might find good do it yourself books at hardware stores or home
improvement centers, or just borrow them from the local library.

Plumbers are not the only people to call for this kind of work however, you
might want to find a handyman for this job. probably save you over half of
what a plumber would charge you.

--
Roger Shoaf