Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default is electric heating likely to become cheaper than gas heatingin future?

newshound wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
Al 1953 wrote:
I'm wondering whether I should fork out for gas central heating in my
new house. However, I wonder if elctric heating will be cheaper than
gas heating after they build the new nuclear power stations. I think
that's what happened in France, isn't it?

It seems unlikely in the short to medium term. Electricity is a
secondary energy source at the moment, and significant new nuke
capacity is going to be some time coming.

--
Cheers,

John.

I'd agree with that. I guess the current nuclear electricity cost must
be similar to combined cycle gas turbine electricity, which gives you
about 60% thermal efficiency.

Its about 1.somethng p per unit, but varies tremendously with the
interest rates, since to an extent, its all in the cost of the money you
borrowed to build the thing.

A complete contrast to a gas set, which is cheap to build but expensive
to run.

But if it's heat you want, using gas direct gives you about 90%.